We all know people who never have a good word to say about anything. Comment on what a beautiful sunny day it is, and they will complain that they are too hot. Say how much you are looking forward to going to the cinema and they will tell you how awful the movie is. These people sap our energy and can cause our spirits to plummet within minutes of being in their company.
Being a positive or negative thinker, however, is something over which we have control, and thinking positively is a good habit to adopt. I find it essential as entertainer to be able to adopt a positive outlook, even when life is throwing many challenges my way. Statistics show that optimistic people are healthier, live longer and are more satisfied with their lives in general.
Whole books have been written on how to become a positive thinker. For your reference here are ten of the best-selling books on the subject:
- A Year of Positive Thinking: Daily Inspiration, Wisdom, and Courage, by Cyndie Spiegel
- Rethinking Positive Thinking: Inside the New Science of Motivation, by Gabriele Oettingen
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- The Magic of Believing by Claude M Bristol
- Success Through A Positive Mental Attitude by Napoleon Hill
- The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy
- Declutter Your Mind: How to Stop Worrying, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Thinking by S.J. Scott, Barrie Davenport
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff and It’s All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life by Richard Carlson
While all of these books have valuable information, essentially the information conveyed boils down to a few key things:
- Being aware of how your cynicism and inclination to think the worst causes you unhappiness
- Training yourself to become conscious of your negative thoughts and words
- Replacing your negative thoughts and words with positive ones. Even amidst the bad situations in life, there are nearly always positive opportunities, so focus on the good
- Repeating positive affirmations such as “I am a hopeful, optimistic person”
- Reflecting on the positives of each day and the things that you have to look forward to tomorrow
Awareness of your thinking is absolutely key to adopting a positive mind-set, so listen carefully to your thoughts and then banish the negative ones for good.
About the Author: Michael Reist, The Amazing Magi, is a Professional Magician and ordained Lutheran Pastor who lives in Annville, PA with his wife Kathy. He performs all over the NE United States. To contact him simply email [email protected] or call him at (610) 698-0311.