Reducing stress throughout your day
Most medical authorities agree that while avoiding stress entirely is virtually impossible, too much stress is unhealthy and can kill you. There are many things that cause stress, but many times stress is caused by time pressure—you don’t have enough minutes in the day to do everything you want and need to accomplish. The key to relieving stress in your household is being aware of what’s causing it, and then making some basic adjustments to your schedule. Here’s how to deal with the three most stress-filled times of day:
- Get to bed early enough for a good night sleep.
- Rise early, avoiding pressure to get out the door fast.
- Get dressed and ready for your day before waking others.
- Have children make their own lunches.
- Take the time to eat a nutritious breakfast.
- Arrive at work on time so you can get a good start to your day.
- Prepare nutritious meals, not fast food. Have your kids help choose and prepare the meal.
- Make time after work to listen to your children talk about their day.
- Share household chores with your spouse and children.
- Coordinate meals and homework time efficiently.
- Ensure that every family member is present at the dinner table, and that everyone gets heard.
- Share cleanup duties after dinner and around the house.
- Leave some time for interruptions and emergencies.
- Prepare tomorrow’s lunches.
- Stick with an agreed TV cutoff time.
- Develop a bedtime routine for your children that they can manage on their own.
- Handle some routine maintenance chores daily—paying the day’s bills, dusting, etc.
- Plan what to wear tomorrow.
- Get to bed at a reasonable hour.
We cannot eliminate all stress in our life, but we can try to use techniques to help alleviate it.
About Michael: Michael Reist is a professional magician who lives in Annville, PA with his wife Kathy. You can find out about Michael and his magic by visiting his website, TheAmazingMagi.com – To contact Michael simply e-mail [email protected] or call directly at (610) 698-0311.